Day 10

 05/18/2023 - 4:00


I woke up early today and read Chapter 6 of Evolving Education, which was on competency-based learning. The main idea of competency-based learning is for students to learn at their own pace, instead of being rushed through or not challenged when working as a class. This helps students want to learn, as when they take things at their speed they are more comfortable. After reading Chapter 6 I headed over to F block, which was another in-class work day. While students continued work on their podcasts I continued working on my lesson plan, which is now complete. I’m going to start class with a short lecture on the Space Race and the Apollo 11 moon landing, then continue to introduce the assignment for class. The assignment is a short writing response answering this question: What are some of the political implications (conclusions that can be drawn) of Apollo 11, and the space race as a whole? Students will be given two sources to quote from while writing this response, and they will mainly be getting graded for content and strength of their argument, not length, and grammar. I also worked individually with some groups of students during F block, listening to their podcasts and giving them constructive feedback. In total, I worked for around 4 and a half hours today, with an hour in class, a half-hour reading before class, and 3 hours this afternoon polishing my lesson plan. I feel like I’m in a good place with Senior Project, as I’m going to have written 12 mock official notes, taught a lesson to two blocks of US History, and learned a lot about teaching from working with my mentor and reading the text he assigned me.

Hours Today: 4:30

Hours Total: 43:00


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4

Day 8

Day 5